Updates for 2021–22
Last year we were very lenient with terms of the application and agreement because of the sudden and devastating impacts of the pandemic. As the world begins to return to normal, we expect to return to regular operations, including adherence to all terms of housing applications and agreements. This includes obligations related to cancellation, termination and housing and dining charges.
- The duration of the 9-Month Housing Agreement and housing charges will be from September 22, 2021 through June 12, 2022.
- The early termination policy has changed to mirror the terms of the 12-month apartments agreement and in alignment with many of our peer institutions across the country.
- You will be responsible for full housing charges for the entire agreement. This means that you will be charged for every quarter even if you move out early and are not living with us for part of the agreement duration.
- If you move out early, you will be responsible for dining charges for the current quarter, but will not be charged for dining for future quarters.
- Specific details and exceptions are outlined in the Agreement Termination section of the 2021–22 9-Month Housing Agreement.
Living Learning Community changes
- Arts Community will move from Willow 4th floor to Oak 3rd floor
- Business Community will move from McCarty 3rd floor to McCarty 8th floor
- Engineering Community will expand to include Maple 7th and 8th floors
- Global Community will move from Elm 6th floor to Poplar 3rd floor
- Honors Community will move from Elm 6th floor to Terry 3rd, 4th and 5th floors
Room types and building usage
- We plan for all residence halls to return to their pre-COVID capacity. This may change based on guidance from the CDC and Public Health—Seattle & King County.
- All rooms will be charged at the proposed 2021–22 rate.
- All community bathrooms in Madrona Hall have converted to all-gender.
- Rooms configured for students with disabilities affecting their mobility (commonly referred to as ADA rooms) will be reserved for students who need those accommodations; students who do not need them will not be able to return to those rooms.
- Rooms that will be used for Early Fall Start will not be available to returning residents. This includes Lander Hall floors 4–8 and the McCarty Hall floors 5–7.
- Nordheim Court buildings 7 and 8 will return to the 12-month agreement duration in autumn quarter 2021.
- Nordheim Court buildings 1, 3 and 4 will operate on a 9-month agreement duration for 2021–22, and will be closed during summer quarter 2022. Those buildings will revert to the 12-month duration in autumn quarter 2022.
- All rooms in Cedar Apartments will revert to the 12-month agreement duration.
Summer building closures
Each summer HFS performs maintenance on buildings on a rotating basis. This will periodically affect buildings on the 12-month agreement as they close for their scheduled maintenance.
During the academic year before maintenance, the building will be on the 9-month agreement, as shown in the schedule below.
||9-month agreement year
|Nordheim Court 7 and 8
|Nordheim Court 1, 3 and 4
|Nordheim Court 2, 5 and 6
|Cedar Apartments East
|Cedar Apartments West
|Mercer Court D
|Mercer Court E
- Students may apply for a mixed-gender room and select a room with a member of a different gender, as long as the roommates request one another and the room selected has a private bathroom (for example, a double room with a private bathroom).
- Returning residents can pull any undergraduate UW student in as a roommate, including new freshmen, transfer students or current students who don't already live on campus, as long as they are matriculated students.
- Students who cancel because they are joining a fraternity or participating in sorority recruitment must cancel their own housing applications. HFS will not cancel applications for returning residents joining Greek Life.
Room selection process
Your room selection appointment time will be sent to you by email in mid-June. We encourage you to log in close to the beginning of your time for the best chance of getting the room you want.
- Search for your room based on your building choice, Living Learning Community and/or room type choice.
- You may assign your mutually requested roommates with you, provided they are not already assigned.
Room selection schedule
|9-month residence halls*
||Begins on June 22
Ends on June 28
||Begins on April 27
||Ends on May 2
* 9-month room selection will be delayed to ensure that the most accurate and up-to-date requirements from Public Health—Seattle & King County are taken into consideration.
You have priority for your current room
Current residents have priority for their current room as long as they remain eligible to live in that area.
- We will assign you to your current room
- You will have the option of choosing a different room during room selection
- If you request and are assigned to your current room and have a mutual roommate request, we will try to assign you together
- Students requesting to return to a triple room, 3- or 4-person suites or 3- or 4-person room with more than one roommate will not be assigned before room selection.
changes to your room selection
- You may search and select a room as many times as you like during your selection period.
- You can only change your own assignment, not the assignment of your mutually requested roommates.
If You're not finding a room
PAIR AND GROUP ASSIGNMENTS
A pair or group is yourself and one or more other students who apply to return, or new applicants who have been pulled in by you or your mutually-requested roommate.
You may assign yourself and one or more other people as long as:
- The other person is not already assigned; and
- All group members enter the correct student numbers of all other members on the application; and
- All group members are eligible to live in the area selected; and
- All preferences match those selected by all other group members.
Roommate requests must be made using student numbers, not names. Be sure to have the student numbers of all students you want to be assigned with before you submit your application.
Applicants who apply with a group of two or more will be able to assign their entire group of mutually requested roommates. The first group member to select online may assign everyone to an available room, cluster or apartment; however, they will not be able to designate which room within a cluster or apartment is assigned to each person.
If, after being assigned by a group member, you wish to adjust your individual assignment within a cluster or apartment, you'll have the opportunity to make that change by completing an online request. Details will be emailed to you after room selection ends.
Room selection tips
To maximize your opportunity to assign yourself to your preferred room, plan to log in as soon as possible after your appointment time begins.
If you and one or more other residents have requested one another as roommates, you may assign all members together as long as they are not already assigned. Or your requested roommate may assign you if you are not already assigned.
If your mutually requested roommate is not a current resident, you’ll have to assign them with you in your room, cluster or apartment. They will not be able participate in room selection.
12-month room selection will close at 11:59 pm (PDT) on May 2
9-month room selection will close at 11:59 pm (PDT) on June 28
You may change your room as many times as you like during your room selection period.
If you do not select a room, HFS will assign you to one that matches your preferences as closely as possible.
For the best chance of assigning yourself to one of your preferred rooms, log in to the room selection website as soon as you can after your appointment time begins.
We cannot accommodate requests for earlier appointments based on schedule conflicts.
Have a backup plan. If there isn’t space available in your preferred building, room or apartment type, what are your other choices?
- Assignment confirmations will be emailed after room selection ends. Please contact us if you have any questions.
- Keep checking your UW email throughout the summer for more information about move-in. HFS will also send you a final assignment confirmation in mid-August.
If you decide to cancel your application and assignment, cancellation charges will be based on the date you submit your notice.