HFS' goal is to provide the best possible service for all of our customers. In addition to excellent service interactions, this includes providing clean, safe and welcoming living and dining environments for our students, staff and guests. As a new staff member, you will be better prepared to support these efforts by completing the following trainings.
1. HFS Employee Guide—All staff members must review the HFS Employee Guide (PDF). Once you have read the guide, please go to the final page and follow the instructions to complete the acknowledgment form.
2. HFS "Big 3" Training Presentation-All student staff are expected to view the Student Staff Online Training and take the online quiz at the end of the presentation. The presentation consists of Workplace Conduct, Use of State Resources and Customer Service.
4. Safety of Minors—All UW employees are legally mandated reporters of suspected child abuse or neglect. Because this responsibility resides with each individual employee, you are strongly encouraged to review the University's Safety of Minors website.
5. Asbestos Awareness—All staff members must take the required online Asbestos Awareness training to learn how to recognize and report the possible presence of asbestos in the workplace.
6. Back Safety—All staff members who are required to lift 20 pounds as part of their job duties must complete the university's online Back Safety Awareness Training (PPT). This includes all UW Dining employees and some other units as well. If you are unsure if this applies to you, please confirm with your manager whether to complete this training.
7. Washington State Food Worker Card—The safety and quality of the food we serve is important to us. UW Dining employees are required to have a valid Washington State Foodworker Card. The card costs $10 to obtain or renew. Staff members must keep a copy of the card with them at work and submit a copy to the UW Dining Administration Office (located in 109 Terry Hall) within the first two weeks of employment.
8. Food Allergy Awareness Training -- All staff members who handle food must take the Food Allergy Awareness Training. This can be found on Humanity.
9. Workplace Conduct—The University has administrative policies that guide the appropriate conduct in the workplace. Because we value having a workplace in which all employees can do their best work, all staff members must attend HFS Workplace Conduct Training and take this quiz. This is an in-person training that is typically scheduled to occur at least once per month. You will be scheduled for a session during your new employee orientation. If not, please speak with your manager to be scheduled for an upcoming session.