The MILL is a hands-on workspace where the UW community comes together, both formally and informally, to imagine, discover, innovate and responsibly create.
The MILL makerspace is the result of a programmatic and monetary investment by UW Housing & Food Services, supported by the UW College of Engineering.
The MILL, located in McCarty Hall, is open to all UW students, UW residents, as well as UW students enrolled in courses taking place in The MILL.
Support and education
With varying degrees of support, provided by two full-time staff members, university faculty, and trained student staff, users of The MILL will get help and knowledge transfer from entry-level all the way to professional and research level. Workshops and trainings will be available throughout the year.
The UW College of Engineering is a partner of The MILL, utilizing the space for several course offerings and for student project development and creation. The university’s Student Technology Fund helps purchase equipment for The MILL and creates access for the entire UW student community.
Easy to access
Using the space is easy, as all sign-ups and safety trainings can be done online.
UW faculty and staff can purchase quarterly memberships to gain full access to the space.
All new and prospective MILL users must complete our user agreement, which includes an online safety training and quiz. Please note that certain machines and equipment require additional training. These trainings help to ensure that members can use the space safely.
Monday–Friday, 2 pm–8 pm
Saturday and Sunday, closed
Take a tour
To promote physical distancing and the safety of our users, tours are not permitted during the 2020-2021 academic year. To arrange a virtual tour connect with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Service and operations updates
The MILL operations and usage guidelines have been modified per current UW and state restrictions, to ensure a safe and health facility through enhanced cleaning and physical distancing protocols.
What to look for
- Posters and digital display screens have information on physical distancing, hygiene practices, and other safety information. Hygiene guidelines are also posted in each restroom.
- Floor markings and posters provide traffic flow patterns.
- HFS custodial staff clean public areas daily using EPA-registered disinfectants.
- High-touch areas in all buildings are disinfected twice daily.
- The MILL staff clean machines and equipment between each use with EPA-registered disinfectants.
- Appropriate cleaning protocols are in place to respond to a positive COVID-19 case.
- The entrance to The MILL has hand sanitizer dispensers for student and staff use.
- Plexiglas barriers have been installed at the reception desk.
- Staff wear face coverings at all times and will enforce face covering requirements for all users. Staff will wear gloves if required for their job.
Changes to workshops and equipment
- Certain areas and equipment in The MILL have been closed to create physical distancing. Please do not use equipment marked “out of order” or “not in use.”
- Small group workshops will be limited to three students and one staff member to allow for appropriate physical distancing.
- Small hand tools will be stored behind the desk so they can be disinfected between uses. You may request these items from a staff member.
- If you need to set up a file, please first make an appointment in the Laptop Workstation to access the software to prepare your project. Reserve machine appointments only when you have a prepared file ready.
- Need help getting started on a project? Our staff are available for in-person, physically-distanced appointments or virtual appointments. Contact us to set up a consultation.
Make an appointment
Appointments are strongly recommended to assist us in limiting the number of people in the space at one time. If you arrive for your appointment and the equipment you are hoping to use is unavailable, we will ask that you make an appointment for another time due to occupancy restrictions.
- Appointments are listed in one hour sessions. Each hour includes 15 minutes for staff to clean that area after use. Please end your project work after 45 minutes.
- You are welcome to arrive at any time during your reservation window.
- All appointments are limited to one reservation per day for each user. If there is no reservation after yours, you can continue to use the space. Please ask a staff member to extend your reservation.
- If you will need additional time to complete your project, please contact us for alternate arrangements.
How to make an appointment
- Go to the Perks & Recreation website
- Click “Log in” in the upper right corner and use the purple “UW NetID” button to login with your UW credentials.
- Click “Facility Reservation Appointments”
WHEN YOU ARRIVE
- Swipe your Husky Card with the photo facing away from you.
- Staff will ensure you are scheduled for an appointment or will schedule one for you.
Drop-ins are permitted if there is an open appointment for the equipment you would like to use. Check-in at the reception desk when you arrive and we will book the time for you. If there are no open appointments, we will ask you to come back later to allow for enough distance between users.
To cancel an appointment
Click “Log in” in the upper right corner and use the purple “UW NetID” button to login with your UW credentials.
Click your UW NetID in the upper right corner and select “Profile” from the drop-down menu.
Choose “Court Bookings” and find the appointment you’d like to cancel.
Take care of yourself and others
- Face coverings are required at all times.
- It is recommended that users wash their hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer prior to entering The MILL and when leaving The MILL.
- All users must check-in at the desk. Observe traffic flow patterns and physical distancing requirements outlined by the floor markers.
- Small hand tools have been removed from The MILL and must be requested from a staff member so they may be properly cleaned in between uses.
- Scrap bins have been temporarily removed. Please plan to provide your own consumables, including scrap material.
- Return borrowed items (hand tools, glue sticks, etc.) at the end of your appointment so they can be disinfected for the next person.
You might also be interested in