The MILL is a hands-on workspace where the UW community comes together, both formally and informally, to imagine, discover, innovate and responsibly create.
The MILL makerspace is the result of a programmatic and monetary investment by UW Housing & Food Services, supported by the UW College of Engineering.
The MILL, located in McCarty Hall, is open to all UW students, UW residents, as well as UW students enrolled in courses taking place in The MILL.
Easy to access
Access to the MILL is free for all UW students. All new and prospective MILL users must first complete our user agreement, which includes an online safety training and quiz. Please note that certain machines and equipment require additional training. These trainings help to ensure that members can use the space safely.
UW faculty and staff can purchase quarterly memberships to gain full access to the space.
Academic year Hours
- Monday–Friday: 8:30 am–Midnight
- Saturday–Sunday: 1 pm–Midnight
Take a tour
Feel free to come to the MILL during our operating hours (listed above) and our staff can give you a tour of the space, or you're free to take a self guided tour.
Service and operations updates
The MILL operations and usage guidelines have been modified per current UW and state restrictions, to ensure a safe and healthy facility through enhanced cleaning and physical distancing protocols.
What to look for
- Posters and digital display screens have information on hygiene practices, and other safety information. Hygiene guidelines are also posted in each restroom.
- Floor markings and posters provide traffic flow patterns.
- HFS custodial staff clean public areas daily using EPA-registered disinfectants.
- High-touch areas in all buildings are disinfected twice daily.
- The MILL staff clean machines and equipment between each use with EPA-registered disinfectants.
- Appropriate cleaning protocols are in place to respond to a positive COVID-19 case.
- The entrance to The MILL has hand sanitizer dispensers for student and staff use.
- Plexiglas barriers have been installed at the reception desk.
- Staff wear face coverings at all times and will enforce face covering requirements for all users. Staff will wear gloves if required for their job.
Take care of yourself and others
- Face coverings are optional but recommended after March 28, 2022
- Food may not be consumed in the MILL.
- It is recommended that users wash their hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer prior to entering The MILL and when leaving The MILL.
- All users must check-in at the desk. Observe traffic flow patterns outlined by the floor markers.
- Small hand tools have been removed from The MILL and must be requested from a staff member so they may be properly cleaned in between uses.
- Return borrowed items (hand tools, glue sticks, etc.) at the end of your appointment so they can be disinfected for the next person.
Support and education
With varying degrees of support, provided by two full-time staff members, university faculty, and trained student staff, users of The MILL will get help and knowledge transfer from entry-level all the way to professional and research level. Workshops and trainings will be available throughout the year.
The UW College of Engineering is a partner of The MILL, utilizing the space for several course offerings and for student project development and creation. The university’s Student Technology Fund helps purchase equipment for The MILL and creates access for the entire UW student community.
You might also be interested in