Updates for 2022–23
We are transitioning from requiring a deposit to requiring a pre-payment. Residents who have a deposit on file will have their deposit transitioned to a pre-payment for the upcoming year. A resident’s deposit will not be lost; it will stay with their student account.
Living Learning Community changes
- Pre-Health will expand to Alder Hall floor 4
- Global Community will expand to Oak West if demand is higher than Poplar 3 can accommodate
Room types and building usage
- All rooms will be charged at the 2022–23 rates.
- Rooms configured for students with disabilities affecting their mobility (commonly referred to as ADA rooms) will be reserved for students who need those accommodations; students who do not need them will not be able to return to those rooms.
- Rooms that will be used for Early Fall Start will not be available to returning residents. This includes Elm Hall floors 2–7 and the Oak West floors 2–5.
- Nordheim Court buildings 1, 3 and 4 will continue on the 9-month agreement duration in autumn quarter 2022.
- All rooms in Cedar Apartments will revert to the 12-month agreement duration.
Summer building closures
Each summer HFS performs maintenance on buildings on a rotating basis. This will periodically affect buildings on the 12-month agreement as they close for their scheduled maintenance.
During the academic year before maintenance, the building will be on the 9-month agreement, as shown in the schedule below.
||9-month agreement year
|Nordheim Court 1, 3 and 4
|Nordheim Court 2, 5 and 6
|Cedar Apartments East
|Cedar Apartments West
|Mercer Court D
|Mercer Court E
|Nordheim Court 7 and 8
- Students may apply for a mixed-gender room and select a room with a member of a different gender, as long as the roommates request one another and the room selected has a private bathroom (for example, a double room with a private bathroom).
- Returning residents can pull any undergraduate UW student in as a roommate, including new freshmen, transfer students or current students who don't already live on campus, as long as they are matriculated students.
- Students who cancel because they are joining a fraternity or participating in sorority recruitment must cancel their own housing applications. HFS will not cancel applications for returning residents joining Greek Life.
Room selection process
We will be in contact with you in late April regarding your room selection time. Room selection will occur the week of May 9th
You have priority for your current room
Current residents have priority for their current room as long as they remain eligible to live in that area.
- We will assign you to your current room
- You will have the option of choosing a different room during room selection
- If you request and are assigned to your current room and have a mutual roommate request, we will try to assign you together.
changes to your room selection
- You may search and select a room as many times as you like during your selection period.
- You can only change your own assignment, not the assignment of your mutually requested roommates.
If You're not finding a room
PAIR AND GROUP ASSIGNMENTS
A pair or group is yourself and one or more other students who apply to return, or new applicants who have been pulled in by you or your mutually-requested roommate.
You may assign yourself and one or more other people as long as:
- The other person is not already assigned; and
- All group members enter the correct student numbers of all other members on the application; and
- All group members are eligible to live in the area selected; and
- All preferences match those selected by all other group members.
Roommate requests must be made using student numbers, not names. Be sure to have the student numbers of all students you want to be assigned with before you submit your application.
Applicants who apply with a group of two or more will be able to assign their entire group of mutually requested roommates. The first group member to select online may assign everyone to an available room, cluster or apartment; however, they will not be able to designate which room within a cluster or apartment is assigned to each person.
If, after being assigned by a group member, you wish to adjust your individual assignment within a cluster or apartment, you'll have the opportunity to make that change by completing an online request. Details will be emailed to you after room selection ends.
Room selection tips
To maximize your opportunity to assign yourself to your preferred room, plan to log in as soon as possible after your appointment time begins.
If you and one or more other residents have requested one another as roommates, you may assign all members together as long as they are not already assigned. Or your requested roommate may assign you if you are not already assigned.
If your mutually requested roommate is not a current resident, you’ll have to assign them with you in your room, cluster or apartment. They will not be able participate in room selection.
You may change your room as many times as you like during your room selection period.
If you do not select a room, HFS will assign you to one that matches your preferences as closely as possible.
For the best chance of assigning yourself to one of your preferred rooms, log in to the room selection website as soon as you can after your appointment time begins.
We cannot accommodate requests for earlier appointments based on schedule conflicts.
Have a backup plan. If there isn’t space available in your preferred building, room or apartment type, what are your other choices?
- Assignment confirmations will be emailed after room selection ends. Please contact us if you have any questions.
- Keep checking your UW email throughout the summer for more information about move-in. HFS will also send you a final assignment confirmation in mid-August.
If you decide to cancel your application and assignment, cancellation charges will be based on the date you submit your notice.