Please review the following information carefully as you make your plans for moving out of the residence halls.
If you have questions, please contact one of the following offices:
Your Residential Life Office, for questions about:
Student Services Office, for questions about:
- Agreement Termination Notice (ATN)
- Agreement termination charge
- Late notice charge
- Your agreement
- Priority Retention
Your residence hall front desk, for questions about:
HFS can only release information to prospective landlords if you authorize us to do so when you submit your Agreement Termination Notice. Landlord requests must be received in writing by email (email@example.com) or fax (206-543-3124).
If you will be away from campus for an internship or study abroad program, or are withdrawing from the UW for hardship reasons, you may request Priority Retention status when you complete your Agreement Termination Notice. This will give you the highest priority to return to the residence halls if you would like. HFS staff will confirm your participation in a UW-affiliated program and, if approved, you will be guaranteed a space in the residence halls for the quarter that you are returning.
If you are approved for Priority Retention, you will be contacted at your UW email address prior to the start of the quarter you intend to return, and you will be asked to complete a housing application.
If a resident’s room/space appears to be empty of possessions but keys have not been returned, the resident’s room/space may be presumed abandoned. An abandonment letter will be placed on the room door for five days, after which HFS will take possession of the room/space.
If you abandon your room, you will be charged for a lock change and key replacement, moving, handling and storage of your belongings, and applicable cleaning or repair charges, in addition to any room payment owed.
Checkout instructions for students living in Cedar Apartments, Mercer Court D and E, and Stevens Court K and L can be found on the Apartment Checkout page.
Agreement Termination Notice
If you move out before the end of your agreement period, please submit an Agreement Termination Notice (ATN). You do not need to submit an ATN if you are moving out during spring quarter, or at the end of EFS, Interim or summer quarter.
You are responsible for paying housing and dining charges for the entire quarter in which you check out. You will not receive a refund for any portion of a quarter during which you are in occupancy, regardless of whether or not you are occupying the room.
If you intend to move out during autumn or winter quarter, submit a residence hall ATN by the deadline shown below.
Moving out During Autumn Quarter
|On or Between
||Submit Termination Notice
||Early Termination Charge
|September 9, 2018 and December 15, 2018
||On or before October 31, 2018
||December 15, 2018
|November 1–December 15, 2018
||$500 + $15 per day late notice charge
Moving out During Winter Quarter
|On or Between
||Submit Termination Notice
||Early Termination Charge
|December 16, 2018 and March 23, 2019
||On or before January 31, 2019
||March 23, 2019
|February 1–March 23,
|$500 + $15 per day late notice charge
Moving out During Spring Quarter
You do not need to submit an ATN to move out during spring quarter, and you will not be charged for early termination. However, you will be charged for the full quarter regardless of your move-out date.
The spring quarter checkout deadline is 12 noon on Saturday, June 15.
- If you move out during autumn quarter or winter quarter, you will be charged a $500 agreement termination charge regardless of when you submit your ATN. The fee will be waived if you move out because you will no longer be attending the UW.
- If you move out before the end of spring quarter, you will not be subject to an agreement termination charge. However, you will be responsible for paying full room and dining charges for spring quarter.
- If you submit your ATN after the deadline shown in the table above, you will be charged a late termination charge of $15 per day in addition to the agreement termination charge.
- If you live in the residence halls for any part of a quarter, you will be charged for housing and dining for the entire quarter; charges will not be prorated upon move-out.
- Any money left on your Dining Account will expire at the end of spring quarter.
- It is important that you move out on the day you stated in your ATN. If you do not, you may incur improper checkout charges.
You will not be charged for your agreement termination if you are able to provide documentation that establishes one of the following:
- you are no longer a registered student at the UW
- you have been approved by the UW for a hardship withdrawal
- you are participating in a UW study abroad program for University credit
- you are being deployed or assigned for services in the armed forces, including the National Guard and armed forces reserves
- you have completed your academic program, or are graduating.
If you are moving out to participate in a study abroad program or UW-sponsored internship and wish to return to the residence halls when you return to campus, you may request to retain your residence hall assignment priority when you submit your ATN.
Standard checkout procedure
At Least One Day Prior to Checking Out
- Reserve a room inspection appointment by contacting your RA or the Residential Life Office no later than 24 hours before your intended vacate date and time.
- If you cannot contact your RA, you may contact another RA in your building by calling the Residential Life Office.
- If you do not make an inspection appointment at least one day in advance, you may incur improper checkout charges.
- Update your local address at MyUW and discontinue subscription deliveries.
On Move-out Day
- Remove all personal belongings, thoroughly clean your room and apartment, and return all furniture to its original configuration and location. No personal possessions should be in the room or apartment when you check out.
- Complete your room inspection with your RA:
- Your RA will complete a Room/Apartment Condition Report (RCR).
- Your RA will ask you to sign the completed RCR prior to sending you to the desk to check out.
- Within 15 minutes of completing your inspection, check out at your front desk or designated check-out location. You will be asked to present the following:
- Keys for your room, mailbox, bathroom and/or bike room
Failure to return keys and any temporary access cards will result in charges being applied to your account.
If you have an unexpired parking permit, return it to Commuter Services. Please note:
- Parking permits may not be transferred to another individual or vehicle.
- Your parking permit becomes invalid if you move out of the residence halls before it expires.
- You will receive a credit for the unused portion of your parking permit after it is returned
- If you move out without returning your keys, you may be charged for a lock change and/or replacement keys.
- If you do not check out by the assigned deadline you may be assessed a late checkout charge.
- If any checked-out items are not returned, or are returned in poor condition, you may be charged for replacement, cleaning and/or retrieval labor.
- You may be subject to improper checkout charges if you fail to complete any step in the Move-out process as instructed.
Residence Hall Cleaning Guidelines (PDF)
Charges and refunds
- Should you not have any of the required items/paperwork at checkout time, you will be charged. If you feel you are being charged in error, you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If any cleaning, repair or final charges are assessed, these will be deducted from your deposit and the balance, if any, will be refunded to you within three weeks or a statement regarding outstanding charges will be forwarded to you.
- Any applicable refund will be mailed within three weeks of your official vacate date. Please be sure to update your local address at MyUW to ensure your refund is mailed to the proper address.
- Dining charges for the quarter during which you move out will remain on your Dining Account for use until the end of that quarter. Dining funds are not refundable or transferable to another account or student.
You are welcome to list the Student Services Office contact information when asked for a rental reference or rental history verification. Upon receiving a rental reference, HFS will disclose the information requested, typically the dates that you lived on campus, whether or not your account was paid on time and is current, if you vacated properly, and if you are eligible to live with us again.