Skip to main content

Residence Hall Checkout

If you have questions, please contact one of the following offices:

Your Residential Life Office, for questions about:

  • Room inspection
  • Cleaning

Student Services Office, for questions about:

  • Agreement Termination Notice (ATN)
  • Agreement termination charge
  • Late notice charge
  • Your agreement
  • Priority Retention

Your residence hall front desk, for questions about:

  • Checkout process

Move-out resources

Priority Retention

If you will be away from campus for an internship or study abroad program, or are withdrawing from the UW for hardship reasons, you may request Priority Retention status when you complete your Agreement Termination Notice. This will give you the highest priority to return to the residence halls if you would like. HFS staff will confirm your participation in a UW-affiliated program and, if approved, you will be guaranteed a space in the residence halls for the quarter that you are returning.

If you are approved for Priority Retention, you will be contacted at your UW email address prior to the start of the quarter you intend to return, and you will be asked to complete a housing application.


If a resident’s room/space appears to be empty of possessions but keys have not been returned, the resident’s room/space may be presumed abandoned. An abandonment letter will be placed on the room door for five days, after which HFS will take possession of the room/space.

If you abandon your room, you will be charged for a lock change and key replacement, moving, handling and storage of your belongings, and applicable cleaning or repair charges, in addition to any room payment owed.

Agreement Termination Notice

If you move out before the end of your agreement period, please submit an Agreement Termination Notice (ATN). You do not need to submit an ATN if you are moving out during spring quarter, or at the end of EFS, Interim or summer quarter.

You are responsible for paying housing and dining charges for the entire quarter in which you check out. You will not receive a refund for any portion of a quarter during which you are in occupancy, regardless of whether or not you are occupying the room.

If you intend to move out during autumn or winter quarter, submit a residence hall ATN by the deadline shown below.

You do not need to submit an ATN to move out during spring quarter, and you will not be charged for early termination. However, you will be charged for the full quarter regardless of your move-out date.

Deadlines and charges

Termination deadlines and charges are described in the 9-Month Housing Agreement.  Charges related to moving out can be viewed on the Incidental Charges page.

Cleaning guidelines

Residence Hall and Apartment Cleaning Guidelines (PDF)

Rental references

You are welcome to list the Student Services Office contact information when asked for a rental reference or rental history verification. Upon receiving a rental reference, HFS will disclose the information requested, typically the dates that you lived on campus, whether or not your account was paid on time and is current, if you vacated properly, and if you are eligible to live with us again. 

Landlord requests must be received in writing by email ( or fax (206-543-3124).

Standard checkout procedure

The following processes are currently suspended.

At Least One Day Prior to Checking Out

  • Reserve a room inspection appointment by contacting your RA or the Residential Life Office no later than 24 hours before your intended vacate date and time.
    • If you cannot contact your RA, you may contact another RA in your building by calling the Residential Life Office.
    • If you do not make an inspection appointment at least one day in advance, you may incur improper checkout charges.
  • Update your local address at MyUW and discontinue subscription deliveries.

On Move-out Day

  • Remove all personal belongings, thoroughly clean your room and apartment, and return all furniture to its original configuration and location. No personal possessions should be in the room or apartment when you check out.
  • Complete your room inspection with your RA:
    • Your RA will complete a Room/Apartment Condition Report (RCR).
    • Your RA will ask you to sign the completed RCR prior to sending you to the desk to check out.
  • Within 15 minutes of completing your inspection, check out at your front desk or designated check-out location. You will be asked to present the following:
    • Keys for your room, mailbox, bathroom and/or bike room

Failure to return keys and any temporary access cards will result in charges being applied to your account.

If you have an unexpired parking permit, return it to Commuter Services. Please note:

  • Parking permits may not be transferred to another individual or vehicle.
  • Your parking permit becomes invalid if you move out of the residence halls before it expires.
  • You will receive a credit for the unused portion of your parking permit after it is returned