Student life and educational opportunities
UW Housing & Food Services (HFS) is an integral partner in the University’s drive to provide vibrant student life and educational opportunities. HFS provides students with housing accommodations that meet their needs, promote community, support their academic success, leadership development and social connections, and facilitate campus engagement.
As a self-sustaining auxiliary department, HFS operates without outside financial assistance, including UW or state funds. As a result, the services it provides are paid for by those who directly benefit from them (i.e., residents, customers and guests).
- 2018-19 Total Housing Capacity = 10,207
- Two residential dining venues—Local Point and Center Table—with over 350,782 transactions last year
- Three student community centers—Area 01, The 8 and The MILL—and Fitness Center West
- District Market grocery on West Campus, with about 1,300 transactions daily
- HFS partners with a number of UW academic departments and programs, supporting class space needs, enhancements to course offerings, cocurricular activities and research.
HFS’ support for student success
- Offers six Living Learning Communities housing 1,680 students
- Provides 150 study spaces in HFS facilities
- Employs over 1,000 students
- Provides student-leadership opportunities, including 200 residential student staff members responsible for building community, and over 200 student government roles
- Advises student programming boards, which coordinate over 100 events for residents each year
Read more Facts and Figures about our student's success.
Who we are
We believe that care is the most essential ingredient of our business. It makes us work as people, for other people. It helps us create experiences that are meaningful for our students. Care adds value to the lives of the people we serve.
A great outcome or experience for a student is a great source of pride for us. We have gathered a short collection of student stories about their lives and residential Husky Experiences that make us very proud to say we’re UW HFS.