Skip to main content

UW Housing Agreements

Disability Accommodation

The University of Washington Housing and Food Services recognizes the importance of providing reasonable accommodations in its housing policies and practices where necessary for individuals with disabilities to use and enjoy University housing. This Policy explains the specific requirements and guidelines which govern requests for reasonable accommodation in University housing.

Housing and Food Services adheres to the University's Reasonable Accommodation of Students with Disabilities policy, which is in compliance with Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 as amended; the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (P.L. 93-11) and 45 C.F.R. Part 84; Fair Housing Act of 1968 42 U.S.C. Sec. 3601 et seq., Chapter 49.60 RCW; and Chapter 28B.10 RCW.

Students with disabilities, accommodation and accessibility needs, or special dietary needs will follow the same housing application process as all students to apply for UW housing.

If the disability or need requires some accommodation (e.g., accessible shower, visual fire alarm, single room, therapy animal, etc.) in order to create equal access to the living facility and/or program, the student will then register with Disability Resources for Students (DRS) and provide documentation to support the accommodation request. DRS will review the documentation provided and determine what accommodations are reasonable for HFS to provide. Information about housing assistance provided by DRS is available at Disability Resources for Students—Getting Started. DRS can be contacted at 206-543-8924 (V)/206-543-8925 (TTY) or

Requests for housing accommodation received by DRS after the deadline will be accepted and processed and, if approved, DRS will notify the Student Services Office in writing of any approved housing accommodation. Late requests will be accommodated as soon as space becomes available, but there is no guarantee that the accommodation will be provided for the requested quarter.

Family Housing applicants with a disabled family member may follow the same guidelines for application and registration with DRS.

Students with disabilities desiring to return to live on campus, who were approved for housing accommodation on a temporary rather than permanent basis, must notify DRS of their need for continued accommodation by the housing accommodation deadline for returning student requests. DRS will review the documentation of the disability on file and the student's requested accommodation to determine if the need for housing accommodation is still necessary. DRS will notify the Student Services Office in writing of any approved housing accommodation. The deadlines noted below apply to the deadline in which DRS must formally notify HFS of approved accommodations. DRS may require up to three months advance notice to review accommodation needs, so please contact them just as soon as you possibly can.

Housing accommodation deadlines

You are a

Deadline for accommodation approval by DRS

Returning resident (9-month housing)*

April 1

Returning resident (12-month apartments)*

April 1

EFS applicant

June 1

Autumn quarter applicant June 1

Winter quarter applicant

November 1

Spring quarter applicant

February 1

Summer quarter applicant

May 1

*Students who have been approved for an ongoing accommodation do not need to submit a new request.

Disability Resources for Students—Getting Started

Special dietary needs

UW Dining provides many options in our venues for customers who choose to eat a vegetarian, vegan or gluten-sensitive diet. More importantly, we strive to ensure that residents with any special dietary needs are able to dine safely in our facilities. If you have any challenges navigating our menu offerings, or are in need of additional support, please schedule a dining consultation with your Nutrition & Systems Manager, Jessica Deer, MS, RDN at or 206-685-3847.

Please note that having a special dietary need does not waive the dining account requirement for residence hall residents. 

A plan that works for you

Once you are on campus and working with the HFS Wellness Specialist, we can provide: 

  • Guidance about navigating our regular food service platforms
  • Access and assignment to our special allergen kitchens
  • Totes for storage in refrigerators/freezers for personal specialty items
  • Specially prepared meals (soon to be available through online ordering). 

The HFS Wellness Specialist can also assist you in developing one-on-one relationships with key kitchen staff members located in the residence hall you will be eating in daily.

Student responsibilities

In order for HFS to provide students identified with special dietary needs the safest dining experience, it is crucial for these students to do the following:

  • Meet with the HFS Wellness Specialist to create a plan for safe eating on campus
  • When in doubt, avoid food you are unsure of or ask the person in charge for more information
  • Become familiar with the food labeling system, which can help you identify foods with gluten and other common food allergens
  • Be familiar with our Allergy & Nutrition Advisory