Thank you for residing in UW housing.
As you prepare to move out of your apartment, please refer to the information on these pages. This information is designed to clarify our standards of cleanliness, thereby eliminating or reducing charges for maintenance or cleaning. Charges reflect actual costs and are strictly enforced.
As a rule, you should leave your apartment in the same condition in which you would expect to find it upon moving in.
Intent to Vacate notice
Notice of Intent to Vacate can be submitted online by completing an Intent to Vacate Form. You are required to provide a 45-day written notice of your intent to vacate Family Housing apartments.
You should plan to be completely moved out of your apartment no later than midnight on the vacate date stated in the form.
Upon receiving notice of your intent to vacate, HFS staff will perform a pre-inspection of your apartment within five days. Pre-inspections take place during standard business hours.
On the first business day after your vacate, a final inspection will be performed and charges for cleaning, damages, improper checkout or abandoned property will be assessed to your housing account.
Family Housing Cleaning Guidelines (PDF)
The proper disposal of items is each individual’s responsibility. For information and resources on how to properly dispose of large items and hazardous materials, please visit King County Solid Waste Division. Please note that improper disposal of bulky items or other trash in or around UW apartments may result in disciplinary action, fees and/or other UW action. You may contact your Residential Life Office or community staff members for help with questions or concerns.
The following are expected prior to your vacate date.
- Pay all housing charges in full. A prorated charge will be made for residents who, having provided the required 45-day notice, vacate during the month. Please note that any outstanding charges may be deducted from your account balance before your prorated housing charges and security and damage deposit are refunded.
- Discontinue or transfer subscription deliveries.
- Please do not drive on the grass, grounds or fire lanes. A vehicle can easily damage the lawn and/or sprinkler system.
- Lock all doors and windows.
- Blakeley Village and Laurel Village residents:
- File a forwarding address with the U.S. Postal Service.
- Update you address through your MyUW.
- Return apartment and mailbox keys and your H-Lot parking permit, if applicable, to the Blakeley Village Community Center, or leave them in your locked apartment.
- Stevens Court residents:
- Update their address in MyUW at least a week prior to vacate.
- Lock all doors and windows.
- Return apartment keys and mailbox keys to the Lander Desk and your parking permit, if applicable, to Commuter Services.
If cleaning, repair or final rental charges are assessed, these will be deducted from your deposit and the balance refunded to you, or a statement regarding outstanding charges will be forwarded to you.
Any questions or concerns should be directed to the Student Services Office at 206-543-4059.
All personal property must be removed from your apartment and any storage areas.
You are welcome to list the Student Services Office contact information when asked for a rental reference or rental history verification. Upon receiving a rental reference, HFS will disclose the information requested, typically the dates that you lived on campus, whether or not your account was paid on time and is current, if you vacated properly, and if you are eligible to live with us again.
Questions regarding your charges, agreement or vacate:
Student Services Office
Questions about apartment inspections, cleaning and maintenance:
Questions about checking out of Blakeley Village or Laurel Village:
Blakeley Village Community Center
Questions about checking out of Stevens Court: