Skip to main content

Husky Card Services


Check the Husky Card Office Operations Updates page for the most current information regarding operating hours, location, and adjusted card services.  

General questions

What do I need to bring with me to get a Husky Card?

To obtain your Husky Card, bring your UW student or employee ID number and your state- or federally-issued photo identification such as your driver's license, passport, etc. We will take your picture for the card. 

Can I request a Husky Card by mail?

Yes, you may submit a request to have your photo submitted remotely and your Husky Card sent to you by mail. The process for how to do so varies by campus, so please refer to your specific campus website for more information. 

UW Seattle: Husky Card Office Operations Updates
UW Bothell: Undergraduate Admissions
UW Tacoma: Office of the Registrar

What should I do if my Husky Card is lost or stolen?

If your Husky Card is lost or stolen and you have money in your Husky Card Account or dining account, immediately go to the Online Card Office to report your card lost/stolen and suspend activity on your account. You may also call the Husky Card Account & ID Center (Husky Card Office) at 206-543-7222 during regular business hours to report the card as lost or stolen.

How do I get a replacement Husky Card?

If you work or attend classes at the Seattle campus, you can go to the Husky Card Account & ID Center. Employees working at UW Bothell, UW Tacoma, UW Medical Center, Harborview Medical Center, and Northwest Hospital are able to obtain Husky Cards at their respective locations. Please see our full list of ID Center locations. Once a replacement card is printed it will permanently deactivate the previous card. 

Is there a cost to replace a Husky Card?

A nonrefundable fee of $25 is charged for replacement Husky Cards due to loss, theft, damage, name and photo changes. 

My lost card included a U-PASS. How can I replace that?

There is no additional fee to replace the U-PASS. The U-PASS will be automatically active on your replacement card within 12–24 hours of obtaining the replacement. Contact UW Transportation Services for additional questions about the U-PASS.

I am an employee and still have the old version of the Husky Card. How may I obtain the new one?

You may visit one of our ID Centers to have one printed for you. If it will be your first ORCA-capable Husky Card, there is no charge to replace it.

If I do not like the picture on my Husky Card, can I get another one taken?

Getting a new picture will require printing a new card, charged at the replacement fee cost. You can get a new Husky Card with a new picture at one of our ID Center locations. You may also email the Husky Card Office at to request a secure link to submit an updated photo online. 

How can I protect my Husky Card from damage?

The following are some common actions that damage Husky Cards:

  • Punching a hole or slot in the card
  • Machine washing the card
  • Keeping the card loose in your clothing or backpack, or keeping it in a wallet in your back pocket and sitting down
  • Bringing it within close proximity to wireless chargers, magnets or cell phones.
  • Exposing the card to extreme heat (i.e., direct sunlight on the dash of your car, clothes dryer, iron) or extreme cold
  • Leaving it in your vehicle or using the card as an ice scraper for the windows
  • Bending, twisting and/or crimping the card
  • Exposing the card to chemicals including organic solvents, thinners and/or alcohol

Keeping your card in a protective cover or holder is the best way to ensure a long, functional life. Cardholders will be charged a fee for the replacement of a damaged Husky Card. Accessories to protect your card can be purchased at the Husky Card Account & ID Center with your Husky Card Account. 

What if I change my name?

If you are a student, you must first change your name through the UW Registrar's Office. If you are a staff member, you will need to change your name with your Payroll Coordinator. If you are both a student and an employee, you must make both changes. Once you have made these changes, please allow 24 hours before you come get a new Husky Card. In order to save you an unnecessary trip to our office, you can call us at 206-543-7222 to confirm that your name change has updated in our system. The cost for a replacement Husky Card is $25.

I am concerned about the security of my personal information. How is this being addressed?

No personal information is stored on the smart chip. The chip contains a number with instructions to activate or deactivate U-PASS membership. The UW sends files that contain these numbers to the region's ORCA system. No names or UW ID numbers are included in the files. Limited trip data is also stored on the chip for the purpose of processing transit transactions or payment, but it is not associated with names or UW ID numbers.

Transportation Services is the only office with information about who has a valid U-PASS, and they keep this information private in accordance with the UW policy on personally identifiable information. Transportation Services will not have access to individually-identifiable trip data from the ORCA system.

Preferred Name option

What is a preferred name?

The term preferred name refers to a name an individual wishes to use that differs from their official name listed on the student or employee’s original UW record. It will appear in many applications, such as the UW Directory, class lists, MyUW, and photo class rosters. For more information about preferred names at the UW, please visit the UW Services and Resources for Students page

How do I get my preferred name printed on my Husky Card?

You may provide the University with your preferred name by logging into and following the directions. Please allow 1–2 business days for your preferred name to be updated in the Husky Card system before visiting an ID Center location.

Do I have to use a preferred name on my Husky Card?

No. Using your preferred name for your Husky Card will be an option for students and employees, but it is not a requirement.

I have a Husky Card with my UW official name on it. How do I exchange it for one printed with my preferred name?

Bring your current card with you to an ID Center location to request a replacement Husky Card. Please note that all name change replacements are assessed the standard $25 replacement fee. U-PASS holders should allow 12-24 hours for their new card to begin working on transit. 

How will having a preferred name instead of my UW official name on my Husky Card affect me?

Your preferred name is for use within a variety of applications within the UW community. If you choose to have your preferred name on your Husky Card, it cannot be used as proof of legal identity and may impact its use as a form of ID. Your UW official name will still be used in business processes and other activities that require it. For more information and a list of those processes, please visit It is advisable to carry a government-issued form of ID, such as a driver’s license or passport, with you.

U-PASS questions

ORCA readers do not respond to my U-PASS, or they give me an error message, but my card still works to swipe for door access and make purchases. What should I do?

A thin wire antenna embedded in the Husky Card assists the smart chip in communicating with ORCA card readers. This component functions independently of the card's magnetic stripe.

  • If the ORCA readers flash red or display Insufficient Funds when you hold up your card, first be sure that you are signed up for the U-PASS. Students should see a U-PASS charge on their tuition statement, and staff members will have needed to enroll in the U-PASS program with UW Transportation Services. Be aware that new and replacement cards take 12–24 hours to activate for use on transit. Contact UW Transportation Services if problems persist.
  • If the ORCA readers do not respond at all (no lights or text displayed), the U-PASS portion of the card is likely damaged or nonfunctional. Visit the Husky Card Account & ID Center for troubleshooting assistance.

The information about the ORCA smart card mentions seven transit agencies including the ferries. Does that mean the U-PASS will include the ferries?

Those who purchase the U-PASS will be able to use it for unlimited rides on King County Metro, Community Transit, Sound Transit, Pierce Transit, Kitsap Transit, or Everett Transit bus services and on Sound Transit's Link light rail and Sounder commuter trains. While the regional ORCA program allows access to ferry passes and fare payment, ferry service will not be included with the U-PASS product. Ferry riders can purchase an ORCA card or Wave2Go card for fare payment. Please visit U-PASS powered by ORCA for more information.

Husky Card Account questions

What is the Husky Card Account?

The Husky Card Account is a declining-balance account that debits charges at on-campus merchants against deposits made by the account holder. There is no minimum balance required. The account can be used for dining, copying, and a variety of other purchases on campus. For a complete list of locations that accept the Husky Card Account, please see Participating Locations.

How can I open a Husky Card Account?

All UW students, faculty and staff who have Husky Cards are set up with a Husky Card Account automatically. To activate your account, simply make a deposit through the Online Card Office using a credit or debit card. There is a $5 minimum for online deposits.

How do I close my Husky Card Account?

Husky Card balances greater than $5 may be refunded upon written request or via the Online Card Office. If you submit a written request, it must include your name and account number (UW student/employee ID number), along with a current mailing address. You can stop by the Husky Card Account & ID Center and complete a refund form, email from your UW email account, or submit a refund request form through the Online Card Office. All refunds are processed either by check or refunded back to the credit card used depending upon the method and timing of the original deposit. Accounts less than $5 may be charged a service fee up to the total amount of the existing balance. Please note that we do not permit cash refunds or withdrawals.

How do I check the balance on my Husky Card Account?

To check your real-time balance, log in to the Online Card Office or call the Husky Card Office at 206-543-7222 during regular business hours. You can also set up your MyUW webpage to display your account balance, however please note that the balance indicated on MyUW is obtained through a download process once a day, so the balance shown will not reflect purchases made since the last download.