Skip to main content

Husky Card Operations Updates

Updated May 6, 2022

Husky Card Account & ID Center

Odegaard Undergraduate Library, ground floor level
Phone: 206-543-7222
UW Box 353085
Entrance is through the outer building doors on the ground floor level of the building. The Husky Card Office is not located within the library itself.  

Operating hours

Husky Card Office staff are available by phone and email Monday-Friday 8:00 am–5:00 pm (closed for lunch noon–1pm). 

Open for walk-in service (no appointment needed)
9:00 am–noon and 1:00 pm–4:00 pm

Closed for University Holidays

Notice: Husky Card Office does not accept cash, checks, or credit cards in the office. Accepted payment methods are Husky Card Account, tuition charge, and payroll deduction. Deposits to the Husky Card Account can only be made with a credit/debit card through the Online Card Office

Husky Cards for new students

New admits for Summer and Autumn Quarter 2022 UW Seattle campus students: Submit a photo no later than September 1, 2022 to have your Husky Card mailed to your permanent address on file (U.S. domestic postal addresses only) and to ensure that you receive it prior to arriving on campus.

First-time Husky Cards for newly admitted Summer and Autumn Quarter 2022 students with submitted and approved photos will be mailed out automatically beginning in May and continue through September 1st. If you successfully submit your photo during this time period you can expect to receive your card approximately 2-3 weeks afterwards at your permanent address. You will receive an email confirmation to your UW email address once it's mailed out notifying you that it's on its way. Please make sure to review the important disclaimer below regarding the mailing of cards. If you miss the September 1st deadline, do not wish to submit a photo online, or if you have a mailing address outside of the U.S., then you may obtain your card in person from the Husky Card Office or contact us directly for further assistance. International students should still submit a photo online in advance to facilitate printing.

UW Seattle prior admit students:
If you were admitted during a previous quarter but have not yet obtained your first Husky Card, you may either visit the Husky Card Office in person or you may send a request for it to be sent by mail. Cards will not be mailed automatically for previously admitted students. To request it by mail, first submit your photo. Once you receive confirmation that your photo has been approved, send an email to directly from your UW email account and include the following information:

  • Full name
  • Student ID number
  • Indicate choice of whether to print your UW official or registered preferred name
  • Current mailing address (domestic only, we are not able to mail cards internationally)

UW Bothell and UW Tacoma transfer students: you do not need to upload a new photo or obtain a new card, as your previous one will become active after you transfer to UW Seattle. 

Important note: If you plan to live in on-campus housing and would prefer your card to be held for pickup at move-in rather than sent by mail then please notify us at

Husky Cards for new employees

New UW Employees: You may obtain your first Husky Card by visiting the Husky Card Office during our in-person service hours. Bring your UW ID number and state or federally-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license or passport, with you when you come. You may also visit one of the other ID Center Locations if applicable.

Alternatively, you may request to have it mailed to you (US domestic addresses only, we are not able to mail cards internationally). To do so, send an email to directly from your UW email account and include the following information:

  • Full name
  • UW ID Number
  • UW NetID

We will provide you with a secure link to submit your photo documents. See photo submission requirements below.

If you would like to have your preferred name printed on your Husky Card, please make sure you have first registered it at Preferred names can take 1-2 days to update in the Husky Card database, so we recommend waiting until then to submit your request.   

Replacement cards and retiree cards

Replacement Husky Cards, including new retiree cards that will replace your employee card, can be obtained by visiting the Husky Card Office during our in-person service hours.

Alternatively, you may request a replacement Husky Card to be sent by mail. To do so, send an email directly from your UW email account to and include the following information:

  • Full name
  • UW ID Number
  • Reason for request (i.e. lost, stolen, damaged, name change, new retiree, etc.)
  • Indicate choice of whether to print your UW official or registered preferred name
  • Current mailing address (domestic only, we are not able to mail cards internationally)
  • Payment method for $25 replacement fee – Husky Card Account, tuition charge (students), or payroll deduction (employees). Note: There is no charge for the first Retiree Husky Card.

Please note: Replacement Husky Cards will be printed within 1-2 business days of receiving your request and may take up to 1-2 weeks to arrive. Once your replacement card has been printed it will permanently deactivate your previous card and the process cannot be cancelled or refunded. 

UW Bothell and Tacoma

UW Bothell students and staff: Please email for instructions on how to obtain your Husky Card. Visit UW Bothell's Husky Card page for additional information.

UW Tacoma students and staff: Please visit UW Tacoma's website or contact for specific information. 

If you are transferring to another campus, your current Husky Card will become active after you transfer so you do not need to obtain a new one. 

ID photo submission requirements

You will need to have two .jpg files ready to go:

1) a recent color passport-style photo of yourself (see photo requirements below).
2) a color scanned copy or picture of your US driver's license, state ID, passport, or military ID. Include the entire document and make sure the information on it is clear and readable. If you do not have one, you may submit these three documents instead: high school ID, birth certificate, and social security card. 

Note: Your government ID is used for identity verification purposes only. In accordance with UW's security and privacy policies, your ID documents will not be saved in any system and will be permanently deleted once your submission has been approved. You may alternatively choose to visit our office and have your documents verified, photo taken, and Husky Card issued to you in person. 

Photo requirements:

  • Recently taken color photo of yourself. Passport-style photos are ideal.
  • Photo must be unedited, no filters are allowed. Use of any editing will result in a rejection of your photo.
  • Photo must be taken in front of a plain white, off-white, or very light colored solid background. No objects should appear in the image.
  • Photo must be taken in full-face view directly facing the camera. 
  • Cropped from just above the top of the head to collarbone and centered within the frame.
  • No hats or head coverings, unless worn daily for a religious purpose.
  • No sunglasses. Only prescription eyewear is permitted.
  • Neutral or smiling facial expressions only.
  • File format must be .JPG and cannot exceed 500 KB.
  • Name your file using your UW student or employee ID number.

Important disclaimer  

The Husky Card Office is not responsible for items lost in the mail. Cards are sent via USPS and tracking is not available. Please allow 1-2 weeks for delivery given the uncertainty around mail delivery timing. Cards not received after 30 days from mailing can be replaced and mailed again but will be subject to the standard $25 replacement fee. Replacements can also be obtained in person from our office. Please ensure that your mailing address is accurate and complete, as it will be mailed exactly as requested. If your Husky Card is returned back to our office as undeliverable by the post office we will contact you for a corrected mailing address and make one more attempt to mail at no charge. After that, you will be required to pick it up from our office in person.