The following conditions apply at all times of the year.
Before you change rooms, you must receive written authorization from a HFS Desk Supervisor.
- After move-in Room Change Applications can be found under the Resident Resource section on your MyHFS Homepage.
- When a room change is authorized, your housing account will be assessed a room change charge. If a requested room change is set up on your behalf and you then request to cancel the room change, you will still be charged.
- If you move to a room type with a different quarterly rate, your housing account will be adjusted to reflect this new rate.
- You will be allowed 48 hours in which to complete your room change. All room changes begin on Fridays and must be completed by 5 pm on Sundays. Exceptions to this timeframe must be arranged with and approved by a Desk Supervisor in advance of the room change.
A room change made without written authorization constitutes occupation of more than one room. Therefore:
- Your housing account will be assessed an improper room change charge.
- You will be billed for both rooms until you have turned in keys for your vacated room.
- You may be required to move back to your assigned room.
- Charges related to changing rooms may be viewed on the Incidental Charges page.
Mutual swap room changes before moving in for autumn quarter
If you would like to swap assignments with another student before moving in, you may submit a 2023–24 Mutual Room Swap Request. The person you would like to swap with should also submit the request.
Mutual swaps can usually be accommodated as long as each student is eligible to live in the new room. Some areas have restrictions based on age, participation in the Early Fall Start program, and Living Learning Community approval.
If you would like to swap rooms but do not have someone to mutually swap with, you may use the Room Swap Message Board as a way to find someone to swap with.
On August 29, 2023, UW Yammer communities and content will be deleted permanently.
Save any necessary contact information or data that you need for mutual room swaps requests before then.
Microsoft is moving Yammer to a new backend technology called Viva Engage. Visit IT Connect for more info about the transition.
The before move-in mutual room swap option ends on September 5.
Mutual swaps after you move in
Mutual swaps are a type of room change in which two residents agree to swap their room assignments after move-in. If you are trying to find a resident to swap with the Room Swap Message Board is a way to find other residents who want to move to a different room. After you and another resident have agreed to swap rooms, both of you must complete the Room Swap Request. Please be prepared to provide the following information on the request form:
- Your name, student number, and room assignment
- The student ID number and building room assignment of the person you would like to swap with
- An agreed-upon Friday room change date
Mutual swaps can almost always be accommodated; however, some areas have restrictions based on Living Learning Community approval. Please note: There is a charge per resident for making a room swap.
If you have any questions about room swaps, please call or visit your Regional Desk.
|Lander Regional Desk
|Willow Regional Desk
||Nordheim Court Desk
Mutual room swap request process
Mutual room swap approval process
Mutual room swap moving process
If you have any questions about the Mutual Room Swap Request process, please contact the Regional Desk of the hall serving the building you are hoping to move in to, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The mutual room swap process typically begins soon after autumn quarter starts.
Moving in with a friend
If a space becomes available in your room or if one or more of your roommates is moving out during or at the end of autumn quarter or winter quarter, you may request for a friend to move in with you. Please note that we cannot guarantee all requests can be honored.
- This offer does not apply to single rooms, even if you know the person moving out of a single.
- We will accommodate as many of these changes as possible, but cannot guarantee all requests will be met. If the space has already been offered to a new resident, we will not be able to grant the request.
- This offer applies only to rooms in which the vacating resident has already submitted an Agreement Termination Notice.
- If the vacating student did not submit an Agreement Termination Notice, your request cannot be approved.
- If your winter break or spring break plans require you to leave before the departing roommate checks out of the room you wish to move to, you will need to arrange for the storage of your belongings. The room you are vacating will be assigned to an incoming resident so it must be empty and clean before you leave for break.
How to make the request:
- You are responsible for sharing this information with the person you want to move in to your room.
- All current residents who will be remaining in the room and the friend need to complete the Move in with a Friend Request Form.
- The request will not be considered unless the form is submitted by all parties.
- The vacating resident does not need to complete the form.
- You may check the status of your request online at any time by visiting your MyHFS Homepage.
- You may add or remove your name from the request list at any point.
Please contact your Regional Desk Supervisor if you have any questions.
The moving in with a friend process typically occurs in early November.
Super-sizing your room
We are typically able to offer students whose roommates have moved out the opportunity to reserve the empty space(s) in the room (super-size) for the remainder of the agreement period. There is an additional cost to super-size your room.
If there is an open space in your room, you may request to super-size by submitting the Super-Size Request form.
If you choose to super-size your room
- All extra furniture must remain in your room.
- If you are in a room with more than one resident, your roommate(s) must also submit a request to super-size the room.
- Super-size requests will be offered on a space available basis.
- If your request is approved, housing charges will be adjusted beginning the date the request is authorized. You will be charged the additional room rate, prorated from the day the super-size request is approved, for the remainder of the academic year.
- You may check the status of your request at any time by visiting your MyHFS Homepage.
- Super-size approval notifications will be sent to your UW email account.
- Your room will revert to its original capacity at the end of the academic year (i.e. if your room is currently a double room, it will be a double room again for the next autumn quarter).
Cancelling or declining your super-size request
The super-size process typically begins in winter quarter.
General room changes
If you would like to move to a different room in a different building, you may make a room change request. Typically we are able to offer room changes beginning in winter quarter. Please note some room types, such as singles and studios, are rarely available.
- The General room change request (available in winter quarter) will allow you to specify which residence hall(s) and room type(s) you are interested in moving to.
- Offers are made in the order that requests are received, and are made based on matching space availability. Your room change position and status may not change if a space matching your preference(s) is not available, even if your waiting list position is close to the top.
- When a space meeting your request becomes available, a room change offer will be sent to your UW email account by a HFS Desk Supervisor.
- If you decline the offer or do not respond by the deadline specified in the offer email, your name will be removed from the room change waiting list.
- If you accept an offer, your room change should occur quickly. Room changes generally begin on Fridays and must be completed within 48 hours.
- If you have already been charged a room change charge, it will not be refunded even if you do not complete your room change. If you apply again and are approved for another room change, you will be subject to another charge.
The general room change process typically begins in winter quarter.
Instructions for changing rooms at any time
After your room change has been authorized, you will be asked to complete the following steps within 48 hours, or by the deadline stated in the emailed instructions. Failure to do so may result in additional charges to your account.
- Make an appointment with a Resident Adviser (RA) for a virtual room inspection, which should take place no more than 15 minutes before you turn in the keys to your old room at your Regional Desk. Schedule the appointment for when you know your room will be clean and emptied of your belongings.
- Update your mailing address at MyUW, and notify all publishers and correspondents of your new address.
- Check in and receive your new keys at your new Regional Desk.
- Move your belongings to the new room and clean your old room.
- Meet with the RA for your virtual room inspection.
Complete your room change at your old Regional Desk by turning in the keys to your old room.