Apartment move-in process
12-month apartments move-in day is Sunday, September 10.
Get ready for an unforgettable adventure in your new Husky Home! We're thrilled to welcome you to campus and provide an environment where learning and growth know no bounds.
Are you unsure of what to pack? Review our checklist of items to pack for reference.
Please note: Directions to each apartment building are below on this website.
- You will receive an email with your assignment information and a move-in appointment email from the HFS Student Services Office.
- On your move-in day, make sure to check-in at the community you are moving into. You will be asked to present your Husky Card or another form of photo ID.
- If you arrive to campus on Sunday, September 10 between 9:00am – 3:00pm, you can proceed directly to your building to pick up your keys.
- Once you receive your room and mailbox keys (where applicable), you may begin moving into your space right away.
If you cannot move in during your designated time
If you move-in outside of your designated move-in assignment time between 9:00am – 3:00pm, please check in and pick up your keys at your front desk:
- Residents in Cedar Apartments and Mercer Court check in at the Lander Desk
- Residents in Nordheim Court check in at the Nordheim Desk.
Don’t let those must-have shopping lists distract you, only bring the basics that you’ll need. It’s easier to scale up than get rid of items you never used. We suggest that you revisit the webpage for your building. There you can take a virtual tour, view a floor plan, and find out about the included furnishings.
- Sheets, blankets, comforter
- Pillows and pillowcases
- Surge protector and extension cord
- Toilet paper (except Hansee and McMahon)
- Cleaning supplies
- McMahon Hall residents: Wi-Fi router and Ethernet cable
- Apartment residents: kitchen supplies, (pots, pans, utensils)
Coordinate larger items with your roommates
Coordinate larger items with your roommates so you don’t bring duplicates. The less you bring, the more space you’ll have in your room and the less items you will need to figure out how to dispose of when you move out! Remember, everything you bring with you, you’ll need to take out at the end of the year.
- Refrigerator (4.4 cubic feet or less)
- Microwave (700 watt maximum)
- Television (Residents in McCarty Hall, Madrona Hall, Willow Hall, or Oak Hall will need a smart TV or internet-ready streaming device to use the UW streaming service)
What not to bring
To help keep you and your fellow Huskies safe, the following items are prohibited:
- Halogen lamps
- Space heaters
- Air conditioners
- All open-flame appliances (e.g., fondue pots)
- Open-coil appliances (e.g., toasters, toaster ovens)
- Full-size appliances
- Bidets or water spray hoses
- Wait until you move in to decide if you need a mattress topper. These items cannot be recycled or donated when you are done with them, so they end up in the landfill.
Shipping items prior to move-in
- Packages can be sent to your residential community up to seven days prior to your scheduled move-in. You can find your mailing address on your building's webpage. Please consider that the residential buildings will receive thousands of packages around move-in. Bringing items with you when you move in will help you avoid the lines and waiting associated with package pickup.
- You will receive a notification to your UW email from HFS Desk Services when your front desk receives your package. Please make sure to add email@example.com as an accepted sender in your email. Upon move-in, any packages that were not previously delivered to your room will be available for pickup at your residence hall’s front desk. Check the contact us page for your desk's contacts and location.
- When you arrive at your designated check-in area, you will be directed to the check-in location for your building. You will be asked for your Husky Card or another form of photo ID to receive your room and mailbox keys.
- The Husky Card is your key card for access to your building. If you don’t receive your card before you move in, you will need to obtain one from the Husky Card Account & ID Center (Husky Card Office), located on the ground floor of Odegaard Undergraduate Library. Please check their current operating hours.
Order online to support resident programs
Gear up for an effortless Move-in with HFS exclusive online vendor partnerships—score awesome items for your room before you even set foot on campus! And here's the cherry on top: when you shop through these vendors, you're not only benefiting yourself but also fueling the excitement of our Residential Life student leadership teams, who use the proceeds to create epic resident events and programs. So, shop smart, and let's elevate your college experience together.
Connecting to the internet
Unleash the full potential of your tech-savvy self with our exclusive computing resources at the UW. Check out the ultimate guide on connecting to the UW network.