Skip to main content

Housing & Food Services

Summer housing guide

Summer Session at the UW is comprised of three options:

  • Full summer, June 18–August 19, 2023
  • A term, June 18–July 19, 2023
  • B term, July 19–August 19, 2023

There are housing options to match all three academic terms. Any student is eligible for summer session housing if they’re currently enrolled at UW’s Seattle campus or are enrolled for autumn quarter, even if they aren't taking summer classes. Incoming students are also eligible for summer session housing as long as they are taking summer classes.

Changes and restrictions may apply in consideration of public health requirements.

Before you apply

How to apply

  1. Complete Your 2023–24 Housing Profile on your MyHFS homepage.
  2. Return to your MyHFS homepage and complete the Summer housing application.

What you’ll be asked for when applying:

  • Your building preferences
  • Your room type preferences
  • Your roommate preferences

You will also need to:

  • Agree to the application terms
  • Electronically sign the agreement
  • Electronically sign the COVID-19 Agreement
  • If you are younger than 18, have your parent/guardian electronically sign a Cosigner Agreement

Application cancellation

If you want to cancel your housing application before you move in, you must do so on your MyHFS Homepage. Details about how to cancel and what charges may apply are available on the Application Cancellation and Deferment page.

Housing assignments

All assignments to the residence halls are made in priority group order, taking into account all selected options. Room assignment notifications will be sent starting in mid-May.

Assignment priority

  • Priority 1: Students who apply by April 16 based on quarters in residence.

  • Priority 2: Students who apply after April 16 based on application date.





Stevens Court Single in 4–bedroom apartment 2 semi-private 4
Stevens Court Single in 4–bedroom apartment 1 semi-private 4
Madrona Hall 4-person suite Private 4
Madrona Hall Triple room Private 3
Madrona Hall 3-person suite Private 3
Madrona Hall Double room Private 2
Madrona Hall Double room Community 2
Madrona Hall Single room Private 1

Single-gender rooms

Most shared rooms within the residence halls are assigned to two or more students of the same gender. If you don't specify your preference for a different type of assignment, you can expect to be in a room with another person or people whose gender is the same as yours according to their record with the UW.

Gender-inclusive rooms

It is important to us that all University housing options are welcoming for all students. The gender-inclusive room option is intended to provide a welcoming and supportive environment for residents across the spectrum of gender identity, gender expression, biological sex, and sexual identity, and allied members of the community.

Mixed-gender rooms

Mixed-gender rooms and apartments are open to all students, regardless of your gender . You can specify on your application that you want to live with a person of a different gender, and put that person's student number in your application as your mutual roommate request.

Summer session dining on campus

You have the option of choosing the dining amount related to the term of occupancy as shown below, one of the Apartment Dining Levels ($200, $400 or $600) or no dining level if you are assigned to Stevens Court. The dining allotment you choose will be available at the beginning of your assigned term. 

Term Account Available
Full term $1,238 June 18–August 19
A-term only $639 June 18–July 19
B-term only $599 July 19–August 19

You may opt in to the dining account by May 31 (full term and A-term) or June 30 (B-term).

Your dining account will be terminated at the end of your assigned term. Any unused balance on your dining account will expire. Dining funds are nonrefundable, cannot be transferred to your Husky Card Account, and will not carry over to future terms.

To ensure that your dining funds last you throughout your stay with us, and to avoid forfeiting excess funds, we recommend you monitor your spending habits and adjust if necessary.

Moving in

Spring to summer residents: Students currently living on campus will be given room change directions in their assignment email. Please note that COVID cleaning protocols are a factor in when students can move. Move-in date and time will be between June 10 and June 11.

New summer residents: Move-in starts at 8 am on Sunday, June 18. If you are living in Madrona Hall, you may go directly to the Willow Regional Desk to check in. If you are living in Stevens Court you may go directly to the Lander Regional Desk to check in.

Before you arrive

Here are a few helpful things to do before you arrive on campus:

There is a lot to discover about living on campus, and you probably have questions that haven’t been answered here. If you don’t find what you’re looking for there, call us at 206-543-4059 or email us, and we’ll be happy to help!

Shipping items ahead of time

Packages can be sent to your residence hall up to seven days prior to your scheduled move in. These items will not be returned to the sender.

You will receive a notification in your UW email from HFS Desk Services when your package is received. Upon move in, any packages that were not previously delivered to your room will be available for pick up at your regional desk.

Arriving to campus

All students moving in for summer should arrive to the UW W10 parking lot for check-in.

If you are coming to campus directly from Sea-Tac Airport, there are several transportation options. Please visit Sea-Tac Airport’s main transportation page to decide the best way for you to travel.


Husky Card: You will be asked to present your UW student ID card (Husky Card) when you arrive. You may show another form of photo ID; however, the Husky Card is your key card for access to your building. If you arrive without your Husky Card, you will receive a temporary building access card.

Keys: You will be given room and mailbox keys when you check in.

Red Emergency Backpack: New residents are provided with a red emergency backpack when they first check into their residential community. This comprehensive kit includes water, food rations and other emergency supplies. The contents will remain viable for several years. Please keep your emergency kit for as long as you live with us.

Note: Friends and family cannot check in on your behalf.

Paying for housing and dining

Housing payments should always be made directly to HFS, never to your tuition account. Complete information about billing and payments can be found on our Financial Information for Residents page.

Payment due date

Your summer session payment is due on July 7, 2023.

Moving out

You are responsible for paying housing and dining charges for the entire summer period even if you move out before the end of the agreement period. You will not receive a prorated refund of any charges.

Checkout process

  1. Schedule an inspection by contacting your Resident Adviser or Community Assistant.
  2. Sign up for direct deposit to ensure a fast and easy refund. Refunds take four to six weeks after move-out. If you don't have a U.S. bank account, a refund check will be sent to your local address in MyUW.
  3. Pack your belongings, clean your room and common areas, pick up your mail and packages, and return your keys to your Regional Desk. If you are able, please return your keys during desk hours. If the desk is closed, you may put them in the drop box.
  4. Update your local address on MyUW within 24 hours of your vacate. After you vacate, mail and packages will be forwarded for 180 days to that address.

If you have questions or concerns during your checkout, please contact your building's Community Manager.

Move out dates

A-Term 5 pm on July 19
Full summer Noon on August 19
B-Term Noon on August 19

Other important information

  • You can check-out vacuums through your community vacuum check-out schedule. Check with your RA/CA. 
  • Carts will not be provided by HFS for move-out, as we do not have capacity to adequately disinfect and sanitize between each use.
  • Please clean your room. If you are not able to vacuum, there will be no cleaning charges applied for not vacuuming, but other cleaning charges and damage charges will still apply.
  • Please adhere to CDC-recommended physical distancing guidelines.

Interim housing

You are eligible to live in the residence halls during the period between summer quarter and autumn quarter (interim housing) if you have an active application and assignment for the 2023–24 academic year.

Application and assignment

When you apply for summer housing on your MyHFS Homepage you will have the option to extend your agreement and remain on campus for the interim period. 
We will attempt to assign you to your summer quarter room for the interim period.

If you are assigned to a different room for the interim housing period, you will be required to move to your Interim room on the morning of Saturday, August19, and you must complete your room change by noon.
If you are assigned to a single room in Stevens Court, you aren't required to have a dining account. However, you may have one if you wish.

End of interim housing

If you are assigned to the same room for interim housing and autumn quarter, you aren't required to take any action at the end of the interim housing period.

If you're assigned to a different room in the 9-month residence halls for autumn quarter, you must move from your interim housing room to your autumn quarter room by noon on Saturday, September 9.

If you're assigned to a room in the 12-month apartments for autumn quarter, you must move from your interim housing room to your autumn quarter room by noon on Saturday, September 9.

Detailed instructions on how to complete your room change will be emailed to you. If you do not receive a room change email or if you have questions, please contact the HFS Student Services Office at 206-543-4059 or