Skip to main content

Resident Guide | Blakeley Village and Laurel Village

Building resources

Blakeley Village living room

Community Assistants

Community Assistants, (CAs) are students who are Residential Life team members living in on-campus residence halls and apartments. In Family Housing, CAs may be non-student residents. Your CA is your main point of contact, and they will make an intentional effort to connect with you regularly over the year. You can talk with them about a variety of topics, and they will connect you with other staff and University of Washington (UW) resources if needed.

Your CA can be incredibly helpful in some of the following ways:

  • Facilitating social events and connection to other residents.
  • Sharing knowledge about campus and community resources.
  • Building a sense of community within the floor or building.
  • Conversation partner for processing the adjustment to college life
  • Conducting community walks and ensure that policies are followed.

A CA is on call every night from 5 pm–8 am. They can be reached by calling 206-543-1000.

Program Supervisor

The Community Assistants in Blakeley Village and Laurel Village report to a full-time professional staff member called a Program Supervisor. Your Program Supervisor has an office at the Blakeley Village front desk, located in the Blakeley Village Community Center.

The Program Supervisor can answer questions about living in family housing, academic concerns or other issues that may arise. Please feel free to contact them at 206-221-3370 with any questions or concerns.

Building access and keys

Your Husky Card is your electronic key to get into your building and for access to other assigned areas on campus such as dining and amenity spaces. Your Husky Card is the property of the UW and is for your exclusive use. Always carry your Husky Card and treat it as you would cash or a key.

Report a missing card

Unfortunately, if you misplace or lose your Husky Card there is nothing to prevent others from using it. Report a missing Husky Card right away by contacting the Husky Card Office at 206-543-7222, or visit them on the ground floor of the Odegaard Undergraduate Library.

You can also suspend a lost Husky Card at the Online Card Office. Replacement charges may apply; see the Incidental Charges page for current pricing. Your front desk can provide you with a temporary building-access card to use until your Husky Card is found or replaced.

Your keys

The set of keys you received at check-in are assigned uniquely to you, but are considered UW property. Do not switch keys with anyone, and turn in your keys at your front desk or your designated checkout location when you move out or move to a different space.

Use your keys for entering and securing your residential space. Always carry your keys (and Husky Card), and lock your room or apartment doors whenever you exit.

Lockouts and lost keys

If you are locked out of your bedroom, apartment or building, you may temporarily check out a key or building-access card.

  • During business hours, go to your front desk.
  • If you are locked out after the front desk is closed, call 206-543-1000.
  • There is a fee for any lockout assistance outside front desk hours or any time a Residential Life staff member is required to unlock a door.
  • The lockout key must be returned within 72 hours. Failure to return the key within 72 hours may result in you being charged for a lock change.

Charges may apply to rekey your room if your keys are lost or otherwise not returnable. Charges to replace a bent or broken key may apply as well.

if your keys are stolen

If your keys are stolen, contact the UW Police Department (UWPD) at 206-685-UWPD (8973)/TTY 206-543-3323 to file a report and receive a case number. Rekeys due to stolen keys will not result in a charge if we can document your case number.

Since residential community keys are considered high security, the UW Lock Shop will not replace any key unless we can provide them with a bent or broken key in return for its replacement. This means that when any key is lost, stolen or otherwise unaccounted for, the whole key series must be rekeyed. Missing keys cannot be replaced. Rekey or key replacement costs may be charged to your housing account.

How to submit a work order

If you are in need of maintenance assistance, you must place a work order to alert the custodial and maintenance staff of the problem. You will not be charged for routine repairs. Work orders are completed as promptly as possible and are prioritized by the seriousness of the repair needed. Some repairs may not be made immediately. Submit nonemergency work orders at FS Works.

Electric service and heating

You are responsible for paying for your electric service. Your Seattle City Light account will be set up by a Student Services Representative when you sign your agreement. Contact Seattle City Light if you would like to inquire about assistance programs. It may take a while for your first bill to arrive. 

If you want more information regarding electric services, reach out to Seattle City Light.

Your apartment heating system is electric and is billed through your Seattle City Light account. Thermostat programming instructions may be located on the cover flap or your thermostat, depending on the model.

For heating system assistance, please call the HFS Facilities Services and Planning Office at

Air conditioners

Portable, freestanding air conditioner units not exceeding 12,000 BTU are recommended as they often require no special installation and may be transported from room to room. For maximum efficiency and care for the environment, the unit should be ENERGY STAR compliant. 

Power requirements must not exceed 10 amps and/or 125 volts. The unit must meet UL safety standards and be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

Installation of any equipment should not interfere with or damage any permanent building surface or require removing windows. Any damage or alteration to UW property will result in repair charges and possible further UW action.

Outside areas

You are responsible for keeping the outdoor area of your apartment free of garbage, boxes, furniture or any other items. Stairwells and landings must be kept clear of all items.

Unacceptable items outside your apartment include:

  • Supplemental storage structures
  • Constructed fences
  • Television antennas

Television satellite receivers are only permitted with advance written permission from a Residential Life Office. 

Acceptable items to have outside include:

  • Bicycles
  • Outdoor furniture
  • Potted plants


Blakeley Village and Laurel Village apartments can accommodate personally owned laundry machines. If you need assistance with installation, please submit a work order.

Community laundry rooms

All residents have access to laundry washers and dryers through a quarterly fee. Laundry systems do not take coins and do not accept payment per use. Please see the Incidental Charges page for laundry costs. Machines are activated using an Android or iPhone app, which also provides machine availability, cycle alerts and monitoring, and the ability to request repair service. Residents must use their UW e-mail address to create an account and activate their registration from inside their building laundry rooom. 

TV and Internet

You are responsible for setting up your own cable TV and Internet through your preferred provider. There is also Internet and cable TV access in the Blakeley Village Community Center and the Laurel Village Community Center for you to use.

Apartment inspections

Apartment inspections are designed to:

  • Maintain the integrity of our building facilities for the duration of their lifecycle
  • Reduce the turnaround time between residents in a single unit by being proactive about addressing maintenance issues
  • Increase resident awareness of maintenance support in addressing facility concerns
  • Increase professional staff awareness of potential health and safety concerns in the community

Inspections typically occur annually. More Information will arrive via email as these inspections are scheduled. 

Composting, recycling and trash

In apartment communities there is one waste disposal location for the entire complex. Your RA/CA, as well as local signage, will direct you to this location.

There are three different waste streams available based on the type of product you are disposing: Trash, Recycling or Compost. More information on waste sorting may be found with UW Recycling.

Medical waste disposal

Federal, state and municipal regulations require that medical waste be disposed of in an approved container to keep residents and our staff safe. Medical waste cannot be disposed of in the trash. If you generate this type of waste, please provide your own medical waste disposal container.

For disposal, contact the King County Hazardous Waste Hotline at 206-296-4692. Some pharmacies will dispose of your medical waste if you purchase the medical device from them; please check with a pharmacy for further information on their disposal program.